What should I do if I sustained a bone fracture on the job?

New York City Bone Doctor

Bone fractures are one of the most common injuries sustained by workers and can happen in any occupation. We often see them with construction workers, manufacturers, and warehouse workers, however.

Some of the most common causes of workplace bone fractures include:

  • Accidents with equipment and large machinery
  • Transportation incidents
  • Slip, trip and fall accidents
  • Caught-in/between objects and machinery
  • Falls from height
  • Being struck by falling objects

Workers who sustain bone fractures are usually unable to perform their job functions until they make a full recovery. Recovering from a workplace bone fracture generally takes about 6-8 weeks, though they can take longer depending on the severity of the injury, as well as the age and health of the person who sustained the injury.

In order to determine how long you will need treatment, you will first need to be evaluated by an experienced New York orthopedic surgeon.

What are the most common types of bone fractures sustained on the job?

Workplace bone fractures can effect the limbs, ribs, wrists, ankles, hands, feet, hips, and spine. The most common types of fractures include:

Hairline fractures – small cracks in bone tissue
Simple fractures – a bone breaks under the skin
Compound fractures – fractures that cause the skin to break
Avulsion fractures – a tendon or ligament breaks away from bone tissue

Traverse fractures – a bone breaks across into two pieces
Oblique fractures – a bone breaks diagonally
Comminuted fractures – a bone breaks into multiple pieces

What to do after sustaining a bone fracture

In many cases, a bone fracture produces obvious symptoms. You may have immediately experienced loss of mobility to the affected area, as well as intense pain, bruising, and swelling. You may also feel other symptoms such as clammy skin, dizziness, or nausea. If you sustained a hairline fracture, your pain may not be immediate.

The best thing you can do after sustaining a bone fracture is to seek prompt medical attention. You will need to undergo an X-ray, MRI, or CT scan so your doctor can find the source of your injury. If your fracture is severe, you may need surgery, casting, wiring, or other support to ensure that it heals properly.

You may also need medication to manage the pain and inflammation during the healing process. Depending on the severity of your bone fracture, you may also need physical therapy.

How will I afford to pay for my medical bills?

Luckily, if you were hurt on the job, you may be eligible to collect workers' compensation benefits. This would cover the cost of all medical expenses and lost wages while you're unable to work.

In order to pursue workers' compensation benefits, you must first report your workplace accident to your employer. Then, speak to a workers' compensation lawyer who can work with the insurance companies to negotiate a fair financial settlement.

Having a medical evaluation and documentation of your injury can serve as supporting evidence in your workers' compensation claim. The board-certified orthopedic surgeons at Island Musculoskeletal Care MD, PC understand how workers' compensation claims work and can provide the appropriate medical care that you need to recover.

To schedule an appointment with us, contact us online and we'll get back to you shortly.

Categories: Posts